Support This Blog with your donation

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happy Birthday, Joseph

Today is my son's fifth birthday.  The time has sure flown and it only seems like a blink of the eye five years ago that he was born.  In January 2006,  I had just finished a successful return to the rigors of school to pursue a Master's degree and I had decided to take a semester off following the birth of my son or daughter.

My wife, Aimee, and I didn't elect to find out what sex our baby was going to be.  Aimee had worked up until the Friday before her maternity leave was scheduled to begin the following Monday, January 30.

That weekend we went grocery shopping and visited Bad, Bath and Beyond, where Aimee enjoyed trying a chair which had a massage pad on the chair.  On Sunday night, I went to bed and Aimee stayed up late, since she didn't have to go to work in the morning. 

Sure enough, after midnight she began having contractions and she tried, unsucessfully at several points during the evening, to wake me up with no success.  I remember turning over and hearing her and saying something to the effect that we would go to the hospital in the morning.  My lack of urgency was due to being tired and convinced I was to have to work in the morning as well as being sure that our baby would be born closer to or after the due date of February 1. 

When 6:30 am arrived, I realized the seriousness of the situation.  We made or way safely to the hospital and by the time Aimee was taken upstairs and I joined her it was close to 9:00 am.  When her Obgyn came in, she was informed that Aimee was 7cm dilated, it would be no time before the baby would be with us, right?  Wrong, it seems that once Aimee received  an epidural, the contractions slowed down a great deal. 

So after some rest and other attempts our son Joseph Aiden arrived at 4:21 pm weighing 7 pounds, 12 ounces and was 20" long.  In the first few minutes following his birth, I was playing around with some numbers and made some observations:

He was, at the time, my mother's 10th grandson, I was her 10th child.
If you add the numbers of his time of birth  (24 hour clock)  1 + 6 + 2 + 1 = 10
If you add his birth date 1/30/06: 1 + 3 + 0 + 6 = 10

Joseph was and will always be a perfect 10 in my book, along with his twin sisters who were born almost 18 months later, and I have enjoyed watching all of them grow over the last few years. 

Happy Birthday Joseph, my superhero.


1 comment: