Support This Blog with your donation

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Golf Mecca

Well this rainy and very wet Sunday has left me for most of the day homebound.  In an effort to combat the grey skies, my thoughts turn to a sunnier subject and one I plan to periodically return to from time to time: the places I have been fortunate to travel to. 

For the better part of the mid 1990's and early years of 2000's, I would travel with a group of golfers to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and play four days at a different golf course.  Each golfer had a handicap and based on his play could earn skins money, in addition to any side action he would wager with another golfer.

The Myrtle Beach area is certainly a golf mecca and my impending pilgrimage each year, in early spring, during those years was always the right motivator to get through a long, cold New York winter.

The golf courses were usually selected through the hotel/resort we stayed at.  For many years we were lodged at Ocean Creek Resort in North Myrtle Beach and for the last few years I went on this trip we stayed at Barefoot Landing.

Some of the golf courses we played:  The Surf Club, The Dunes, Caledonia, Legends - Parkland, Wild Wing Plantation, Heritage Club, Barefoot Courses, Blackmoor, Arrowhead, The Pearl, Possum Trot,  Tidewater, Tradition, Willbrook Plantation, and the "grandaddy of them all"  Pine Lakes International. 

Pine Lakes was cool in that they had a guy there who served chowder at one of the par three holes.




There were always a lot of laughs during the golf and back at the 19th hole.  In the evenings, there were numerous choices for dining and other entertainment opportunities.  Our group would always dine at New York Prime every Saturday night and the food there was very good.  There was also a tourist trap entertainment destination called Broadway at the Beach with restaurants, clubs and other attractions.



Well as my life has changed since the years of my annual pilgrimage to Myrtle Beach, I do look forward to taking my family there someday and playing golf with my kids at Myrtle's fine courses.

1 comment:

  1. Bethpage Black Course, Home of the US Open in 2002 and 2009 opens for its season on April 15, 2011.

    Interested in a tee time. E-mail me at reservetheblack@gmx.com

    Play one of the best Public Courses in the country.

    ReplyDelete