Support This Blog with your donation

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Endings and Beginnings

I tried to come up with the subject of this post but I had a hard time deciding on the subject matter.  I have been out of touch with the latest news, until last night, as I had a busy week wrapping up my school year while also preparing for a quick return on July 5th (I don't work in the Public or Catholic School Systems).  This means some slight changes to my classroom, both staff and students.  At least its the 6 week summer program, a less intensive period for the kids.  It should be fun.

I am looking forward to visiting the Museum of Natural History with my family in Manhattan during my respite from work, so that should provide some upcoming blog material.

As the title of this blog indicates, June is a month of endings and beginnings.  For many young people, graduation from High School marks the ending of their schooling and possibly a beginning down a future path at college, in a trade school, in service as a member of the armed services or perhaps directly into the workforce.

In June, as well as the summer months, many young couples begin their lives in marriage.  Just yesterday, the New York Senate passed a bill legalizing same sex marriage.  This bill was quickily signed into law by Governor Andrew Cuomo, who made this a major issue in his campaign for Governor.  Politically, this was a shrewd move, as Cuomo successfully courted this financially powerful constituency with a deft touch.

The Catholic Church here in NY has taken a anti-same sex marriage position and its reaction was swift:

http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/top_stories/141713/marriage-vote-draws-strong-response-from-catholic-leaders

I am not going to offer my opinion on this subject although I will say this, the law will most likely be a boon for divorce lawyers as the pool of married couples who potentially split up will rise.

Endings and Beginnings:  Good Luck to All.

No comments:

Post a Comment