Support This Blog with your donation

Monday, July 18, 2011

The Dog Days of Summer

Hello and welcome to the latest installment of my blog.  I realized today that I haven't posted a new blog post since the end of last month, I'm going to have to get busy to keep up with my quota from previous months.  July has been moving along pretty quickly.  Unfortunately, the beginning of the month found me with an annoying case of pink eye aka: conjunctivitis.  Once I saw the doctor and treated it with some antibiotic drops the eyes were back to feeling better and less red.

I have also been busy with an extended school year program at the school where I work.  Things are going along fine and I'm enjoying the time with my students.  Today, I began a unit of study centered around the story the Wizard of Oz.  I found the inspiration from another blogger who also works with students with multiple needs (http://teachinglearnerswithmultipleneeds.blogspot.com/).  Today, my students viewed a powerpoint presentation depicting the beginning of the story up through Dorothy meeting the Scarecrow.  The powerpoints also had a script with cues to have the students use sensory input to experience certain parts of the story.  Following this presentation, we made collages depicting Dorothy's house in the cyclone and traveling to OZ. 

Here at home, I have been tending to my garden and my cherry tomatoes are growing nicely and in a few weeks it should provide quite a bounty.  I have two jalpeno peppers that appear to be ready to be taken as well as some cilantro.  The two rose bushes, planted on Memorial Day, are flowering nicely and I am very pleased with their growth.

Other than that, it has been a quiet summer with some trips to the pool with the family.  In news I have been following, the situation with Rupert Murdoch and the arrest of Rebecca Brooks, the former head of News International, the parent arm of the now defunct News of the World has been amazing with its salacious revelations.  Over in Britain its alleged that the News of the World had hacked into the cell phones of celebrities and the royals.  Also, its been reported that the phone hacking had extended to the phone of a missing 13 year old girl, raising false hope among her family that she was still alive.

Here in the states, the editor of Murdoch's Wall Street Journal resigned last Friday as allegations swirled around his role while employed at The News of the World.  Murdoch has attempted some damage control but in my view it's too little too late.  Mr. Murdoch is the owner of News Corp and chances are you consume your news and/or entertainment from his assorted properties which include the New York Post, Fox Studios, Fox News and Fox Network just to name a few. How is it that this man has been allowed over the last 35 years to amass so much influence and control over the press and mass entertainment?  What payoffs were made to Scotland Yard that allowed this abuse to take place in England?  What illegal actions has News Corp made in America? Did Murdoch know about the phone hacking and when did he learn it? 



Anyway, these are some of the questions I have regarding this news story.  But I have some final questions for my readers.  Do you think this story is important?  How do you consume your news?  Is the consolidation of news in the hands of the few important to you? 

I would love to read your thoughts to my questions so join the discussion. 
Signing off for now on this Dog Day Afternoon,

Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment