Support This Blog with your donation

Monday, August 22, 2011

Going Going Gone

I just realized that I haven't made any postings for August and there are only a few short weeks left in the month, I better get busy.  My summer vacation began last week and I spent a few days with my kids, cleaning up around my house and tending to the grounds.  In my garden, my tomatoes have produced a nice yield and I plan on expanding my garden to include other vegetables next year. 

In the news, it has been realtively quiet, since my last post.  After much back and forth between the President and the Congressional majority, there was a debt agreement in Washington DC which kept the government open and those Social Security checks to be disbursed.  Following this agreement our political leaders went on summer vacation, so at least no more damage can be inflicted by these men and women until after Labor Day.

Right on cue, the stock market index dropped quite a bit since this debt agreement was reached and this is a bit troubling for everyones 401K portfolios.

In Iowa, the Republican Party candidates for President were up for a straw poll with Michele Bachmann winning with 29% over Ron Paul's 28% of the 17,000 votes cast.  Naturally, the media made a big deal about Bachmann's win and downplayed Paul's showing as the entire straw poll was eclipsed by Texas Governor Rick Perry, announcing in South Carolina?, that he was entering the race for the Republican Presidential nomination.  Personally, I think our country has had enough of Texas governors running for President.  Don't you agree?

Iowa Straw Poll

Finally, I wanted to close giving some "props" to some folks I've been following in the "twitterverse."  First follow @podtourage it's a fun podcast where the core four: Axel Foley, Heath Solo, Donald Jr and Alex Hahn all contribute their views on one or several topics.  It's kinda what I think this blog would be if it was a podcast.  The podcast can be found on I-tunes and their latest is a Pt 1 discussion of the JFK assassination.  Currently streaming on Netflix is a series produced in the late 80's called The Men Who Killed Kennedy and I have watched the four parts available on Netflix.   While the JFK killing occurred well before I was born, its effects have reverberated throughout our country my entire life. 

Also follow @timfinnmusic he was in the New Zealand-Australian band Split Enz and briefly a member of Crowded House which is led by his younger brother Neil.  He and Neil also put out two exceptional Finn Brothers albums in 95 and 2005.  Tim has been working on a new album which will be available at the end of the month, hopefully in the USA soon after that.  His Twitter posts have offered unique perspective into the creative process.  Additionally, he has been pretty cool responding to my tweets.  Thanks Tim. 
Here's a link to a video of the song: Going, Going, Gone.

Going Going Gone - Tim Finn

Please drop a line, I would love to hear from you with any suggestions or comments of your own.
Bye for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment