Support This Blog with your donation

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hurricane - Part II : The Aftermath

Hurricane Irene reared her voracious winds and bountiful rain in my neighborhood beginning the evening of August 27th.  She made landfall in New Jersey sometime the following morning, moved back out to sea and then hit the New York Metropolitan area somewhat weakened as a tropical storm. 

My wife, Aimee, told me that she would stay up Saturday night and wake me in the event anything needed my attention.  So I went to bed on Saturday evening and went right to sleep.  Our three children slept in the room with me.  Fortunately power remained on all through the night.  I heard some of the rain which was pouring down and was worried about the gutters working properly. 

On Sunday morning, I woke up at about 6:30 am and looked outside.  The view looked okay, the rain seemed as though it was easing up, but the winds looked strong.  I brewed some coffee and watched the news coverage.  At 8:30am, the power went out and as a result our TV coverage was over.  For the remainder of the day, I listened to postings on the radio, both the battery powered and hand crank radio we had on hand. 

By the evening, the skies looked as though it was clearing, the raining had stopped and the wind was less threatening.  The coast was clear to go out and assess the property.  Thank God, there was no damage to the facia of the house, the gutters and fences.  Aside from tree branches and assorted twigs, everything was okay.









That evening for entertainment over a glass of Merlot, I came upon a program from the "Golden Age of Radio."  The program was called The Hurricane and it starred Orson Welles and his Mercury Theatre players.  It aired on November 5, 1939.  As a student in High School and College, Orson Welles and the War of the Worlds scare of 1938 was always facinating to me.  In particular, its influence as a mass media tool certainly holds a historical place in our society.  The program was good and it really made me listen carefully and appreciate the work these people did to create the drama.  The drama was also made into a movie directed by John Ford in 1938.



The next day was a gourgeous warm day filled with blue cloudless skies.  Aimee and her sister were off from work.  The picked up ice from the store to keep some food from spoiling as the refrigerator was powered down.  Aimee made breakfast on our propane gas grill.  I made lunch and dinner from the grill as well.  The kids did fine without any tv by playing games, running around outside and riding their bicycles.  On Tuesday, it was my 8th Wedding anniversary to Aimee, who also returned to work.  In the morning frustrations began to mount with the prospects of cold showers.  Additionally, the news we were hearning mentioned that power could be out thru Friday. 

I took the kids to Grandma's that afternoon and enjoyed lunch with Grandma and Grandpa.  She called the house phone at one point after lunch and mentioned that the voice mail picked up.  I drove over to the house to see if power had returned and it had.  What a nice anniversary gift.  I don't think my kids would have been patient for one more evening under our blackout conditions.

Aimee and I went out as Aunt Thania watched the kids for us.  Happy Anniversary Aimee

I hope you all survived Irene and that you each have a restful end of summer and a very  Happy Labor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment