Support This Blog with your donation

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Aftermath...

It's almost been one week since the great superstorm Hurricane Sandy, dubbed "Frankenstorm" by some in the media, made a direct hit on the greater New York region of the northeast United States.  The damage caused by this weather event has been staggering.  Many remain without power nearly a week after the storm hit and for many in nearby coastal areas their homes have been destroyed. 

Reflecting on this past week, I am very fortunate that my family is safe.  The electricity returned yesterday afternoon after four full days of being out.  Damages to my home were minimal with the worst being a large pine tree falling on my neighbor's driveway.  Thankfully the car parked there just missed the tree.  I also had a section of my backyard fence fall and some shingles blew off the roof.

This is certainly minimal to many residents who have no home to return to and will require a great deal of assistance moving forward.  Already there is an appeal to donate to the Red Cross to provide financial resources to those in need.  A telethon that aired this past Friday has raised 23 million dollars towards relief efforts:  Thanks Bruce, Billy, John Bon Jovi and others.  More assistance is needed, money, supplies as well as volunteers.

DONATE TO THE RED CROSS

However as the saying goes, "all charity begins at home" and I just wanted to give a shout out to family for providing a refuge for Aimee and the kids a few days in Connecticut and earlier in the week near home.  Additionally, the aftermath of this terrible event has brought out inspiring examples of the goodness in others.  My neighbors in particular have been very hospitalble in welcoming me into their home for coffee and supplies.  One neighbor loaned me a tool to help me in trimming the fallen pine tree.  Thank you.

These examples, give me hope that during our darkest moments, light can still shine through and we can all help each other rest, recover and eventually rebuild. 

No comments:

Post a Comment