Support This Blog with your donation

Monday, November 19, 2012

Towards Thanksgiving and a Music Review

Here we are smack dab towards the end of the month and approaching Thanksgiving Day.  Here in the New York metro area, life has returned to some normalcy with electric power having returned to homes and schools which was then followed by a noticeable reduction in the lines at the gas (petrol) stations.  The superstorm, dubbed Sandy, wreaked havoc on many local communities, which will take many months and resources to clean up and rebuild.  The storm also managed to expose vulnerabilities in our local infrastructure.  This was the second year in a row with a prolonged power disruption caused by a large storm.  Surely heads will roll and one top executive with LIPA, our electric delivery provider, has resigned his post.

This storm provided a lift for President Obama as it came within a week of the November election.  President Obama won a second and final term and he was seen looking Presidential while visiting several devestated areas following the storm.  It should be a very interesting four years ahead as our country faces many, many challenges both internally and externally, take your pick.  I'd love to hear your thoughts as to what you think are the most pressing challenges the United States faces (leave a reply!!!).

Well for me, I wanted to share a quick recommendation for all music lovers out there.  Bob Dylan released his latest album called Tempest in September.  I had heard a single from the album called "Duquense Whistle" and I next saw a video for the song.  Dylan has been performing music for 50 years and it seems that every album he's released over the last 10 years has been hailed as a "return to form".  I haven't purchased a Dylan album since 1989's Daniel Lanois produced Oh Mercy but on Tempest I found a vital, invigorated Bob Dylan.  Besides "Duquense Whistle", I also like the song "Soon After Midnight" which finds a contemplative Dylan singing about a relationship:

My heart is cheerful
It's never fearful
I've been down on the killing floors
I'm in no great hurry
I'm not afraid of your fury
I've faced stronger walls than yours

Tempest closes out with a song called "Roll on John" and in that song Dylan offers a tribute to the late John Lennon.  I find this song amazing as John Lennon was assassinated almost 32 years ago and only now does Dylan makes his own comment about the life and loss of the great Lennon.  Many of the lines in the song reflect the Beatles and Lennon's lyrics:

From the Liverpool docks to the red light Hamburg streets
Down in the quarry with the Quarrymen.
Playing to the big crowds Playing to the cheap seats
Another day in your life until your journey’s end
Shine your light, move it on, you burn so bright, roll on John

I heard the news today, oh boy
They hauled your ship up on the shore
Now the city’s gone dark
There is no more joy
They tore the heart right out and cut it to the core

Come together right now over me

A must buy to add to your Bob Dylan collection or to begin your collection.  I must credit my older brother Leo for providing early exposure to the music of Bob Dylan and I have found, as I've grown older, a greater appreciation for his music and career.  



Well that's all for now.  I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.  This year we have so much to be grateful for and I hope the upcoming holiday season is a peaceful one for you.  I would love to hear back from you so please drop me any comments or suggestions you might have.  Also, I wanted to give a quick shout out to Roy M for his generous donation to the blog.  Thanks



















No comments:

Post a Comment