Support This Blog with your donation

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Book Review: The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue (2013) by Shama Kabani

The last several years have seen an explosion in the amount of social media use both by businesss and individuals.  It has easily moved well past any novelty phase and is now an essential tool for marketing communications, personal development and in the instance during the "Arab Spring of 2011", social media can contribute towards the toppling of entrenced dictatorial governments.

I recently was presented with an advance copy of The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue by Shama Kabani in order to provide a review to the readers of my blog.

I began a blog in January 2011 in order to have forum where I could opine, on a fairly regular basis, about current events, sports, politics, education and other topics I wanted to share or spark some debate with my readers.  Also, I wanted to develop a new skill set I could someday use as I teach with my students in the 21st Century Classroom.  During those formative months as I built my blogsite and added assorted elements on the pages I came upon this book in its 2010 edition.  I was particularly interested in Ms. Kabani's chapter on Twitter.  At that time I had begun to use Twitter regularly and preferred it over Facebook which I viewed more as a "friends and family" place.

In fact, I remember that I began following Ms. Kabani immediately after reading that chapter.  I also began developing a Personal Learning Network on Twitter consisting of teachers and administrators to develop and network myself in my new career as a Teacher here on Long Island.

Ms. Kabani's book is a necessary tool for all readers who wish to increase their knowledge base about social media and how to use it as an effective tool to incorporate it into their business communications strategy, non-profit marketing or in developing their own personal brand.  I appreciated the updated content and the new chapter on Google+ as well as the overview on Social Advertising with its overview on Groupon and Facebook ads. 

Ms. Kabani's new edition provides a thorough description of Search Engine Optimization and it will aid those readers seeking a targeted audience for their product or service.  In my experience, it explains the large number of views I received and still receive for a blogpost made in the spring of this year when I worked on building a baseball card tabletop as it continues to be viewed consistently as it shows up on  search engines by using several vital keywords. 

Finally, video and its use on the web is given a whole chapter investigation.  From someone who made a few attempts with an audio podcast on his blog, video is one of those things I would eventually use on my blogsite.  These examples are just the tip of the iceberg as far as the amazing amount of information provided.  I highly recommend this book The Zen of Social Media Marketing: An Easier Way to Build Credibility, Generate Buzz, and Increase Revenue by Shama Kabani as a vital tool and reference to add to your business/personal development arsenal. 

In closing remember, the word Zen is derived from the Japanese pronunciation of the Middle Chinese word Dzyen, which in turn is derived from the Sanskrit word dhyāna, which can be approximately translated as "absorption" or "meditative state".  Absorbing the wealth of information provided in this book will not be too daunting and your application of the knowledge provided will make truely make you a "Dalai Lama" of social media marketing. 


***** Highly Recommended








No comments:

Post a Comment