Support This Blog with your donation

Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year's 2013 - A Look Back and a Hope

In just a few short hours, the famed Tiffany Crystal Ball will descend down a flagpole in a crowded Times Square,New York with a countdown echoed lodly both in Times Square and in living rooms across the eastern seabord.  At the stroke of midnight, 2013 will be ushered in and we will speend the first few minutes and perhaps the day ahead with close loved ones.

2012 has been a year many of us will be happy to see gone.  This fall saw the devesatation brought on by Hurricane Sandy in the New York-New Jersey area.  I am particularly grateful that my home saw some superficial damage and the inconvenience of a lack of power for a two week period.
Other neghibors were not so lucky and even today and in the future weeks and months, the work will continue to repair and rebuild in many local communities.

2012 also saw a continuation of mindless gun violence in the USA.  As I noted a few posts back, when I began my blog, my first blogpost concerned the shooting of Representative Kathy Giffords of Arizona.  2012 was a year when this violence spread to movie theatres and schools.  A simple solution will be difficult to achieve but hopefully in 2013 our leaders can join together to reduce the amount of dangerous weapons and evaluate how they can be left in the most resposible hands.

The amount of mindless violence is somehting we all need to take a stand against.  In simple, quiet ways we can all make a difference.  There is no cost to kindness.  In my opinion we all must work towards a forgiving and just society.  That will be my pledge as I enter into 2013.  I want this world to be a better place for my young children and it has grown cold and coarse for too long now. 

As we close out 2012, let us all strive to make a difference in our communities.  I am reminded of a little prayer from St Francis of Assisi:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury,pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen

My best wishes to you, my readers, for a happy and healthy year in 2013.  I thank you for finding me and look forward to hearing back from each and everyone so please leave me a message.

Steve

St. Francis of Assisi - Jusepe de Ribera




4 comments:

  1. Steve, very nice post to end 2013. The prayer from St Francis is such a simple reminder of how we should try to live and keep in mind that we can influence so many personal interactions by thinking about the other person involved. So much focus on the individual today... what one wants and one feels they deserve. So easy to put the other person first and bring some civility and kindness back into the world, one interaction at a time.
    Love to you, Aimee and the kids and all the best in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare,
    Thanks for "dropping by" and I'm happy you enjoyed the post. I totally agree with your sentiment regarding the focus on the individual. It's transformative when you can take into account others in many simple ways. Peace and Love to you and all the B's in 2013 and beyond

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, quite a few month ago you posted an article about making a baseball card table. GREAT idea!! I have quite a few worthless cards and would like to do the same. My only question is what you used for the edges so the epoxy would not flow over. It would make a great piece for the basement mancave. Any assistance would be appreciated. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there. Sorry for the lateness in responding to you. I just noticed your comment today. I'm happy you liked the Baseball Card table. I must be honest, I didn't really have anything placed on the edges as I poured the epoxy over the table. I tried to place cardboard around the edges but it wasn't uniform and I had some tape around in some spots.
      The result was a nice table top bus some tape got laminated on the edges and there was some epoxy on the legs, not much.
      I was just eager to give it a try and see what would happen.

      The next time, I'm thinking of making a game table, I would attach a temporary edge I could take off the table once cured.

      Sorry again for the delay in response but shoot me a line when you finish yours for your mancave. Mine is in my son's room.
      Steve

      Delete