Support This Blog with your donation

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sunday Arts- 2013 Oscar Awards Edition

Tonight, in Hollywood California, the 85th annual Academy Awards will take place.  It's a celebration of the best in America and International cinema.  I must confess, I have only seen one of the nominated films, Steven Speilberg's Lincoln, which I thought was excellent and I was mesmerized by Daniel Day Lewis portrayal of our 16th President. 

Without further ado, here are my Academy Awards predictions for tonight's Oscar winners in seven categories.  Enjoy the show....

Best Picture:  While I support Lincoln, I think Argo will win with its compelling real life story of the rescue of Americans in Iran in 1979.
 
Best Actor:     Daniel Day Lewis, Lincoln.  He was Lincoln, amazing performance and a good Irishman

Best Actress:   Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook.  SLP has received late buzz and I wouldn't be surprised to see it as a sleeper winner for Best Picture.  Jennifer Lawrence represents a young emerging talent the Academy loves to recognize. 
                                       
Best Supporting ActorRobert DeNiro, Silver Linings Playbook.  DeNiro plays a father to a son who's had a breakdown.  DeNiro is on of our great actors.  The late buzz for SLP applies to this selection too.
                       
Best Supporting Actress:  Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables.  She sang and underwent some physical changes in the movie.  Plus she's hosted the show before, remember.. oh yes, you purged that abomination from your memory. 

Best Director:   David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook.  With no Ben Affleck here to award my choice for best picture, Argo, Russell wins for Silver Linings Playbook and I'll need to Redbox it when it becomes available to see what the fuss was all about.  Sleeper pick is Ang Li for Life of Pi

Best Animated Feature FilmBrave.  Boy would I love to work for Pixar.  They create wonderful stories for all ages and Brave joins their best. 

Finally, last night I had the pleasure to watch a true American Film Classic:  On the Waterfront.  The Turner Classic Movie Channel has been playing Oscar winning movies all weekend.  Last night this Marlon Brando classic was on.  Brando won an Academy Award for Best Actor for this movie.  I have always enjoyed Brando's work and in this movie he was so good as Terry Malloy.  I think I'll let this scene below speak for itself.  See this movie if you haven't.

 
 
What film is one of your favorite(s)?  Did you enjoy any of this year's nominated films?  I'd love to hear back from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment