Support This Blog with your donation

Sunday, June 29, 2014

100th Post

Tempus Fugit, a Latin phrase that means time flies.  If a phrase encapsulates this blog's history, then that's it.  I have now reached a milestone as this is my 100th blog post.  Over the previous 99 posts and several years since this blog's humble beginnings, I have sought to stay true to my guiding principles to use this blog to comment on any and all that I find interesting, entertaining or amusing. 

Today, I don't want to talk about current events, as I find myself here on a Sunday morning disgusted with the state of the world and its decent into what I can only characterize as darkness.  One of my first posts was a comment on the shooting of Congresswoman Gabby Giffords in Arizona.  Sadly, these random acts of violence have continued in other public places such as movie theatres and schools.

I want to use this post to express my gratitude to several people in my life.  First to my wife Aimee.  Since our beginnings together, she has been a rock steady and supportive partner.  When I returned to school, during the last few months of her first pregnancy, she encouraged me to stick with it as she saw how happy I was with the rigors of study with the plan to change careers from the business world to one of a school teacher.  To my children, first Joseph and then your twin sisters Caroline and Samantha.  The best lessons are the ones you learn at home and I have three amazing, inquisitive, and tenacious children.  I am enjoying watching them grow. 

Finally, I want to thank all the great children I have worked with since beginning my teaching career in the Fall of 2010.  I graduated the previous spring with horrible job prospects.  For starters, there are just too many teachers here where I live for the limited amount of jobs out there.  I had many classmates unable to find work.  I even had difficulty finding employment in a local school district as any "connections" I had were ineffective, heck I couldn't even get one interview.  However,  I was fortunate and grateful to find employment at a school for special needs children and as I was dually certified in elementary education and special education, I was able to fill a position working with some super kids. 

Each and every day, I have learned from them as much as I have taught them.  I have learned that for some, some progress, however small can be monumental.  For others, just taking the time and encouraging them to engage with someone else and participate makes the difference.  I have gained a strong respect for my student's parents and also reflect how lucky my wife and I are with our children.  Are there times when I wish I were in a local school district and on a long summer vacation (as I work a six week summer program beginning in a few days)?  Sure, but for now this is where I am needed and where I can make a difference daily. 

As Robert Frost once expressed so eloquently in verse comes to mind on how I feel at the moment:

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
 
Thank you to all those who have visited this blog and have read my posts.  I have loved all the comments I have received and would love to receive more. 
 
Also, thank you to those who have supported this blog via a donation on PayPal or by using the Amazon Links for a purchase through Amazon. 
 
Here's to the next 100 posts!
 
Steve
 
 
 
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment